AJ Wang Foundation was established as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in November, 2008 to provide funding to various educational institutions to support students. The Foundation is led by a couple who immigrated to the U. S. to pursue the “American Dream.” It is through hard work and their will to overcome financial obstacles that they have become successful entrepreneurs. As their life-long goal to “give back” to the communities that supported them to realize their dreams, they established the Foundation to support those with the greatest need. The Foundation is currently supported and staffed by volunteers.
The Scholarship Fund, a component of the AJ Wang Foundation, was established in 2013. The Scholarship Fund also receives donations from others wishing to participate in “giving back” in the same manner as the founders. Within the last eight (8) years, the Scholarship Fund has granted about 350 community college students scholarships totaling close to $800,000. Over 65% of these students have transferred to 4-year colleges or universities or secured employment. Starting with Cohort 7 (2019-20), students who complete their community college program and transfer to a 4-year college/university will receive another year of award with the same stipulations.
The Scholarship Fund is targeting students attending identified community colleges in the Southern California area, starting with Los Angeles County. The awarded community colleges now have expanded to Ventura and northern Orange Counties. The Scholarship Fund provides scholarships for up to three consecutive years for students attending one or more of the designated community colleges. The scholarship can be used for tuition, fees, books, housing, transportation and/or food.
Depending on student’s progress towards completion of degree, program, or certification as well as obtaining satisfactory academic standing, a student may receive a second or third year funding. Funds are disbursed on a semester to semester basis in order to monitor continuous attendance and satisfactory academic progress. Students must provide proof which includes transcripts from the previous semester and full-time registration for the subsequent semester. Recipients of the scholarships provide testimonies, as requested, on how the money is spent to support them to realize their dreams.
The AJ Wang Foundation Scholarship Fund provides annual financial support targeting between 40 and 50 students attending the following community colleges:
- All nine (9) campuses of the Los Angeles Community College District: East Los Angeles College, Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles Harbor College, Los Angeles Mission College, Los Angeles Pierce College, Los Angeles Southwest College, Los Angeles Trade Tech College, Los Angeles Valley College and West Los Angeles College
- Cerritos College
- Coastline Community College
- Glendale College
- Long Beach College
- Moorpark College
- Oxnard College
- Pasadena City College
- Santa Monica College
- Ventura College
The AJ Wang Foundation Scholarship Fund Applicant must:
- Be a resident or citizen of the United States of America and its territories or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) and/or Dream Act eligible
- Have a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Be a graduating high school senior from an accredited high school with the goal to attend a community college and earn a degree or certification, and/or meet transfer requirement
- Commit to enroll as a full time (minimum of 12 units) student, without interruption, for the entire academic school year at one of the above mentioned community colleges
- Submit all of the following:
- the official application form (see application link below)
- a letter of application indicating the college of his/her choice, student background, academic achievement, intended educational and career goal(s), and financial need
- a resume
- the latest transcript including grades from grades 9-11 and the first semester of high school senior year with the final transcript submitted along with college fall registration as full time student no later than August 15 of the year of application
- Provide most recent college transcript and subsequent semester full-time student registration annually by January 15 for semester I and August 15 for semester 2 for continuous attendance which demonstrates progress towards meeting educational goal(s). Recipients must maintain at least a 2.75 GPA on a 4.0 scale each semester and register for at least 12 units in order to receive continuous financial support.
- Each recipient will receive two thousand dollars ($2,000) a year for up to three years with $1,000 granted for each semester.
- Checks will NOT be sent to individual students; they will be mailed to the respective Scholarship/Finance Aid Office of the college the recipient is attending for disbursement according to the college’s guidelines.
- Priority consideration will be given to first generation college-bound students; and students living in non-traditional homes.
- Preferences will be given to students who plan to pursue non-traditional careers.
- Recipients are selected by a committee established by the AJ Wang Foundation; there will be no grace period for acceptance and no appeals for students who are not granted the award.
- Application materials must be received via email no later than mid-night on June 1.
- Notification of awards will be provided by late July via US mail (one-time) as well as email.
- All recipients will be known as the AJ Wang Foundation Scholars.
Please email all materials
(e.g. application form, letter of application, resume, and transcript) to:
Dr. Chiung-Sally Chou, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please see www.ajwangfoundation.org.
All other correspondence will be by email.